This is a project-based course where the finished project will be a complete online or blended course. This course was co-written by an online university president and a Director of the Office of Innovative Teaching and Technology at one of the largest Christian universities. Key elements of the course include:
- An extensive template for conducting Needs Analysis, Research and Planning for your course.
- A Course Design Blueprint Template you will use as the major project for this course
- Course Introduction Template
- Course Syllabus Template and Checklist
- Course Design Rubric you will use to self-evaluate your course
By the end of the course, students will have developed at least 6 modules of their course within the Canvas Learning Management System.
Andrew Sears is the President of City Vision University where we are bringing radically affordable education through a $2,000 associate’s degree and a $5,000 bachelor’s degree. I previously co-founded MIT’s Internet Telephony Consortium with one of the fathers of the internet (David Clark) focused on disruption in the telecommunications industry. Before spending the past 20 years living with and serving the poor with disruptive educational technologies, Andrew worked as a consultant to Sprint, venture capitalist and internet startups.
Note, because both of the instructors for this course work at Christian higher education institutions, we have included some assignments on how to design courses to integrate faith. Students that are not interested in these topics are welcome to skip them or just view them as an example of how to design for holistic values integration and apply with your own institutional values.
This course was developed largely as a volunteer-driven project of the Christian Higher Education Innovation Alliance to build the global capacity of higher education to serve the poor and the majority world. We would also love for you to make contributions to improve the course, so if you have any suggested resources, links or other improvements, please let us know. We hope that this can become one of the best free courses available on Instructional Design, but we can only do that with help and feedback of people like you.
- Anyone wanting to design an online or blended course.
- Students who value pragmatism and cost-effectiveness in education.
- Academic leaders needing to add online and blended courses to complement their campus-based offering.
- This course is designed to be re-purposed as faculty training for smaller institutions.
- A particular focus will be on those teaching in under-resourced contexts such as the majority world or serving disadvantaged populations
- An educational director at an NGO or parachurch ministry seeking to develop a combination of an offline and blended program that could be accepted as credit by accredited institutions.
- Staff at a nonprofit, Christian ministry, missions agency or church with high quality unaccredited training program wishing to ready it for accreditation and/or an online/blended format.